The 12th annual Meteor Fest is this weekend, marking the height of summer and a celebration of West Hawk Lake, that beautiful, deep, meteor-formed lake nestled in the south Whiteshell.
This year, Meteor Fest runs from Friday, July 10 to Sunday, July 12 and is packed with events that the whole family can enjoy – Everything from a parade to pony rides to street hockey to yoga on the beach to wakeboarding and more. Here’s a schedule of events throughout the weekend:
Friday, July 10
• The fun kicks off with early bird bingo under the big tent (near the campground) at 6:30 p.m. Canteen will be open.
Saturday, July 11
• Start your Saturday off right with yoga on the beach with Chrissy Sie-Merrit of South Moon Studio. Yoga starts at 8 a.m. and costs $10, with $5 going to support Meteor Fest.
• The Meteor Market will be taking place under the big tent from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The street hockey tournament kicks off at 9 a.m. on Saturday at the tennis courts. The entry fee is $60/team and the categories are 14 and under and 14-17. Registration deadline is 6 p.m. Friday, July 10. Call Keystone Resort at 1-204-349-2250 to register.
• At 10 a.m., parade down through West Hawk with the clown-lead kids’ parade. Prizes will be available for best dressed and there will also be a kids’ colouring contest for ages 3-11. Parade starts at the Nite Hawk Cafe. The fun doesn’t stop at the end of the parade – Afterwards there will be a candy scramble and kids’ games, face painting, clowns, and an opportunity to meet Frozen characters Elsa and Olaf! There will also be a scavenger hunt after the kids games from noon until 4 p.m.
• From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. saddle up for pony rides with Falcon Beach Ranch.
• Hit the water with Hangtime Wakeboard School: Hangtime will be offering wakeboard lessons at Meteor Fest. Pre-register by emailing email@example.com.
• The Diving for Dollars event will take place at 2 p.m. for boys and girls ages 8-16. Call Bob at 1-204-349-8686 to register.
• Rock out on the beach with the reggae band, Rockalypso, from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• At 3 p.m. get soaked in water balloon volleyball on the beach! Entry fee is $5 per team. Teams consist of two people. All you need is a beach towel and clothes that you don’t mind getting a little wet.
• Barbecue on the beach at 5:30 p.m.
• Early bird bingo continues under the big tent at 6 p.m.
• At 7 p.m., head down for music on the beach by local-favourite Dagan Haddad, Meteor Fest classic Big Crush, and more.
Sunday, July 12
• Start your Sunday off with a pancake breakfast under the the big tent from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Get out and enjoy the picturesque scenery of the Whiteshell with the Hike or Bike Poker Derby on the Trans-Canada Trail at 10 a.m. Pre-register at the South Whiteshell Fire Hall.
• The United Church will be hosting a Sunday morning service at 11 a.m. under the big tent.
• The street hockey playoffs will continue at the tennis court at 11 a.m.
• Show off your creative side on the beach during the sand sculpture contest from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.