Gray and Swift foxes are protected species, and thus, prohibited as pets nationwide in Canada. … Canadian residents may only purchase foxes from local, Canadian pet fox breeders or brokers that are legally allowed to sell the animals to the public.
Can I own a Fennec Fox in Canada?
Can I have a pet fox? … Exotic foxes like Fennec Foxes are also not allowed as pets under Controlled Alien Species Regulations. The BC SPCA does not support keeping wild or exotic animals as pets, due to their unique physical and emotional needs. These animals often suffer in care because of their specialized needs.
What exotic animals are legal in Canada?
10 Exotic Animals You Can Legally Own as Pets in Canada
- Potbellied pigs. Average Lifespan: 12 to 18 years. …
- Capybara. Average Lifespan: 8 to 10 years. …
- Mini donkey. Average Lifespan: 28 to 32 years. …
- Sugar glider. Average Lifespan: 8 to 10 years. …
- Fennec fox. Average Lifespan: 10 to 13 years. …
- Hedgehog. …
- Hyacinth macaw. …
- Muntjac deer.
Can I have a fox in Ontario?
There are many species of wild foxes in Canada. In Ontario, you can spot Red Foxes and Grey Foxes. Canadian regulation prohibits own a wild fox, so it is illegal to own a fox in Ontario too, furthermore, it is unethical.
Can you legally own foxes?
Unlike dogs, no foxes in the US have been domesticated. … This means that, in the US, the answer to whether you can own a fox is more than likely “no.” Only 15 states allow private individuals to own foxes as pets. Even in the states where foxes are legal, not all species of fox will be permitted.
Can you own a wolf in Canada?
Under provincial law, wolves are classified as furbearing animals and so cannot be kept as pets, but wolf/dog crosses can be legally possessed without special permits.
What pets are illegal in Canada?
- Cattle, goats, sheep, pigs – and other Artiodactyla.
- Coyotes, wolves, foxes, hybrid wolf dogs – and other Canidae except dogs.
- Bats such as fruit bats, myotis, flying foxes – and other Chiroptera.
- Anteaters, sloths, armadillos – and other Edentates.
Can you have a pet fox in Alberta?
Are foxes legal ➝ NO (unless you apply for a permit to the Wildlife Ministries of Alberta and get an approbation).
Can I own a tiger in Canada?
Fortunately, most Canadian provinces have banned the keeping of dangerous animals, including tigers. … The lack of provincial regulations has likely resulted in Ontario becoming a hot spot for the keeping of wild exotic animals. Just over 40% of all exotic wild animals kept as pets can be found in Ontario.
Can you own a flamingo in Canada?
No, you can not own a flamingo as a pet. … Flamingos are protected under the Migratory Bird Act. They are wild animals and it is not legal to own a flamingo if you are not having a special license.
Where can you own a fox?
Pet Fox Legal States 2021
- Arkansas – All Fox Species Allowed, No Permit Required. …
- Florida – All Fox Species Allowed With Permit. …
- Indiana – All Fox Species Allowed With Permit. …
- Kentucky – All Fox Species Allowed No Permit Required. …
- Michigan – All Fox Species Allowed With Permit for Native Species.
Why are foxes protected in Canada?
Fox, red foxes are actually shy and nervous by nature. They are great hunters due to their acute eyesight, hearing and sense of smell. These foxes are able to trace prey by the slightest movement, like a rabbit’s ear twitching or a mouse moving its tail. NCC protects habitat for this species across Canada.